Thursday, May 30, 2013

A bargain dinner at No Reservations-featured Long Kee Noodle Shop

Long Kee Noodle Shop -- so old school that
its Chinese characters are read from right to left!
 
 The braised pig knuckles and egg noodles in soup I ordered 
was super tasty -- a true foodie delight! :)

Thank you once more Anthony Bourdain!  Back in 2007, his No Reservations TV show had a Hong Kong episode that gave a really wonderful view of the Big Lychee's food scene.  
 
In the years since, I've gone and eaten at a number of eateries featured in that episode, including Tung Po (the seafood place in the cooked food market), Yat Lok (the roast goose place), Ping Kee (the bamboo noodles place), Lin Heung Tea House (the raucous dim sum place) and Bo Innovation (Alvin the Demon Chef's place).  (One other eatery -- Four Seasons (the claypot rice place) -- my mother and I had discovered on our own years before!)
 
And last month, I finally went to the eatery run by four muscular brothers where Anthony Bourdain had -- and enjoyed -- a bowl of beef brisket noodles in soup.  Rather than have the same thing he had though, I opted instead to have a bowl of braised pig knuckles and egg noodles in soup, and shared a plate of tung choi (morning glory) drizzled with fermented tofu sauce with my dinner companion.

The vegetable was pretty tasty but it was just a side dish.  The main event was definitely the bowl of braised pig knuckles and egg noodles in soup -- and boy, was it all really delicious.  More specifically, the braised pig knuckles were melt in your mouth good, the egg noodles were nicely textured as well as tasted really right, and the soup that I normally look upon as just a liquid to keep things from getting dry was so wonderful that I actually ended up drinking all of what I was given in that bowl!
 
As a bonus, this eatery was actually not all that crowded and busy -- so my dinner companion and I felt free to linger longer than we normally would in this kind of place, and especially one located in Mongkok to boot!  So much so that my friend felt free to order a second portion of noodles to leisurely enjoy... And for the record, all that plus a can of soda and a packet of chrysanthemum tea added up to a less than HK$100 (~US$12.88) bill!! :b

5 comments:

Goodbye HK, Hello YVR said...

Sounds good!!! What else is on the menu??!!!

eliza bennet said...

Looks really good! I'd have gone there if I was in HK (and know enough Canto to ask for a bowl of beef brisket noodles) :)

God I miss noodles (oddly though I miss Korean packet ramyun despite being unhealthy)

YTSL said...

Hi The Fragrant Harbour --

From what I can remember, the usual cow parts -- beef tendon, stomach, that kind of thing! Oh, and you can have your noodles in soup or "dry". ;b

Hi "eliza bennet" --

Beef brisket = ngau lahm (with the "a" being pronounced as an "ah" like in the Spanish way, etc.). Noodles -- depends on what you like: e.g., thin rice noodles = mai fan, thick rice noodles = hor fan, thin egg noodles = meen, thick egg noodles = choh meen, oil noodles = yau meen. :b

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I have been told by a fellow wine mate that they are going to close down the business soon. So if you want to go again, go soon.

Best Regards,
T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Oh no! Another small Hong Kong business about to bite the dust? So sad if so. And thanks for the tip to go again soon!