Saturday, May 25, 2013

Copper and A special texture (This week's Photo Hunt themes)


In my previous blog entry, I wrote about the unusual weather we've been having this week.   (I woke up this morning to find heavy rain once more after two beautiful days of clear sky and air days.)  What with the unusually heavy downpours we've been having, I guess it's inevitable that I'd get to thinking about when Typhoon Vicente came over to pay a visit last July.

On the night of that Severe Typhoon Vicente (to give it its full name!) roared into town, the Hong Kong Weather Observatory raised signals to tell people to take care, stay indoors, etc.  While I did stay indoors for the most part as the strong rain lashed and winds blew, I couldn't resist venturing out for a few minutes to better see and feel the effects of the strongest typhoon to hit Hong Kong since Typhoon York 13 years previously. And yes, I took a few photos for the record too!

What I saw (as well as felt) was a neighborhood transformed.  Visually, the overall color was black but there were also interesting effects caused by the lights that were on in the streets.  Directly under a street lamp, a big yellow blob appeared on the surface of the road.  Drawing back to take a larger view, it seemed like things turned more copper colored.  And at a crossroads, the orange and red colors of the traffic and car lights combined to create glowy copper orange-red streaks on the wet surfaces of road and sidewalk that made for quite the artistic sight.

All in all, I think Typhoon Vicente conferred a special texture to the Hong Kong landscape that night -- one that I'm glad that to showcase for Sandi's and Gattina's Photo Hunts this week. :)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is the storms during moonsoon (altho we don't call it that in the philippines) season that i missed about growing up.

magiceye said...

Beautiful takes on the themes!

eastcoastlife said...

Glad that you are fine and there wasn't much damage. I have not experience any natural disaster, I feel anxious whenever I hear bad news.

MaR said...

I love to watch storms when everyone is home and safe... Interesting take on the theme!!

photohunt

YTSL said...

Hi ewok1993 --

You're Filipina? I thought you were South Asian American for some reason! ;b

Hi magiceye --

Thanks!

Hi EastCoastLife --

These days, much of Hong Kong is able to withstand super typhoons, etc. -- touch wood! I even go to work on those days!!

Hi Mar --

I'm not a big fan of electric storms to be honest. But they can sometimes put up quite the show -- for sure! ;b

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Love your photos. Here in New England (USA) we have rapid changes in weather all the time. It's not unusual for us to experience sunny, rainy, windy, foggy, even snow showers all in a day. No typhoons though.

Carver said...

Wow, these are incredible shots. Sometimes dangerous weather is also very beautiful.

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, very cool texture effect and the reflections of the light and rain on the ground does have a nice copper glow. Looks like you were one of the few to brave stepping outside. Glad you were okay.

Have a wonderful and hopefully dry weekend.

YTSL said...

Hi Kara --

Thanks for liking my photos. Re New England: with its name, was expecting weather more like England's -- where it'd rain (drizzle, really) and be gloomy for days on end, something which threatened to drive me nuts when I lived there! ;D

Hi Carver --

Cool re your being impressed by the shots. Am glad I got to put them to use for Photo Hunt! :)

Hi Trekcapri --

I didn't venture all that far out that night, to be honest. Didn't want to get super wet as would have inevitably been the case! ;b

Team Tabby said...

you've certainly captured the mood of that storm nicely!!

ours:
http://teamtabby.blogspot.ca/2013/05/photo-hunt-copper.html

alejna said...

Really interesting and striking photos! Did the typhoon lead to the lighting and color of things looking different than in a typical rain storm? Or does this transformation happen with rain storms in general?

peppylady (Dora) said...

We sure don't have wild weather here...but of course we have to content with blizzard and forest fires.
Great picture and you did capture the theme perfectly.

Thanks for stopping in and coffee is on

YTSL said...

Hi Team Tabby --

I'm glad you think so. :)

Hi Alejna --

With typhoons, the night seems way darker than usual to my mind. And for sure, there's less traffic on the road and sidewalks -- because when typhoon signal number 8 is raised, even the buses stop running, that kind of thing. These factors contribute to the different look and "feel" of Hong Kong during typhoons.

Hi peppylady --

Blizzards and forest fires sound plenty wild to me! ;D