Saturday, November 12, 2011

Two (This week's Photo Hunt theme)



For those who're wondering why I didn't put up my Photo Hunt entry only now rather than earlier today: I goofed by preparing an entry for next week's theme and only realized that this week's theme was two rather than wet/rain after I had finished writing up what will appear on this blog next Saturday! In any event, for my regular Photo Hunt visitors, I hope that this entry will be one you'll consider worth waiting a few extra hours for.

At the very least, I hope you won't be offended by the two photos I've chosen for this entry -- which, incidentally, was written while listening to The Butterfly Lovers music ;) -- both of which show butterflies literally coupling! And for the record: this sight is one I have become pretty familiar with over the course of hiking in Hong Kong -- not having just seen this happen one or two but, in fact, multiple times!!

The first time I witnessed such an occurrence, I was out on a hike with my mother. And as I previously recounted, the two butterflies spotted in the act were so still that I wondered if they were dead and it was my dear mother who had to tell me it was not so -- and also tell me what the critters were actually doing!

In the years since, I've also been witness to other insects (including grasshoppers and stink bugs) doing "it"; with the most memorable sights coming courtesy of dragonflies who really do assume the most... interesting positions (see here and here)! However, I will always have a soft spot for the butterflies because, whatever they may be doing, it's hard to lose sight of it being so that they really are very colorful and beautiful creatures indeed!! :b

30 comments:

Liz said...

These are beautiful!

Have a fabulous weekend.

Liz @ MLC

Bel said...

Marvellous photos! Funny, I published the Photo Hunt for next week at first, too. I only realised my mistake when I went to post the link to the Facebook page. :D

Susan Demeter said...

Well the birds and the bees do it, so why not the butterfly! :) They are both lovely pics by the way!

YTSL said...

Hi Liz --

Glad you see their beauty. Hope you have a good weekend too. :)

Hi Bel --

I only realized my mistake when I visited another Photo Hunter's blog! How bad was that! ;(

Hi Sue --

Teehee -- good point and well said! And thanks for liking the photos. :)

Annie said...

Very nice and how lucky to find two unique pairs like this!

magiceye said...

superb captures both!!

rdl said...

Wow, cool shots!!

LifeRamblings said...

these are beautiful butterflies. the second one is very well captured. :)

Carver said...

Great shots and perfect for the theme. I've only captured one pair of butterflies mating and one pair of large insects. If I'd thought of that I probably would have used those shots for this theme.

Kim, USA said...

These are beautiful!

Two Critters

Marites said...

two becoming as one! :) my Photohunt is up here.

Lesley said...

I think this is cool - and they are such beauties as well.

Ruth said...

Fabulous photos :)

peppylady (Dora) said...

It's a amazing sometime the time thing on the internet. I know your a day a head of me. I'm on pacific time.

Both butterflies are amazing. The second one I thought at first it was some type of reptilian until I looked at closer.
The first one is sure pretty.

Coffee is on

jams o donnell said...

They are real beauties. Pefect for this theme!

MaR said...

Fantastic butterflies and shots!!
Happy weekend.

two

Janice said...

Fabulous shots!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

LIANG SAN BO CHU ING TAI, my grand pa used to tell this famous Chinese love story, and they became butterflies.

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, these are two lovely photos. I love the patterns on their wings.

Ciao from Italy. :)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Magic eyes did butterflies too, they are romantic too?

YTSL said...

Hi Annie --

Thanks, am glad you like the sight of the two pairs. :)

Hi magiceyes --

Thanks! :)

Hi rdl --

Am glad you reckon so! :)

Hi Life Ramblings --

The second pair were obliging -- in that they were doing it in play daylight (in contrast to the first pair which were somewhat obscured by leaves, so one had to twist to take photos of them)! ;b

Hi Carver --

I've taken photos of at least five pairs of mating butterflies. (And yes, the photos are scattered about this blog.) Have seen even more -- but sometimes, the places where they are can be a trifle hard to photograph! ;)

Hi Kim --

I agree! :)

Hi Marites --

Teehee -- yes, indeed! :b

Hi Lesley --

Sounds like we are of like minds. :)

Hi Ruth --

Thanks! :)

Hi peppylady --

I am not sure about being a whole day ahead of you but it definitely is the case about being several hours ahead. :)

Interesting that you thought the second butterfly pair might be reptilian at first. Their spots look like eyes, right? :b

Hi jams --

Ta for your approval! :)

Hi Mar --

Thanks and hope you have a good weekend too. :)

Hi Maboe --

Ta! :)

Hi Janice --

Am glad you think so! :)

Hi Ann --

The story your grandpa told you *is* The Butterfly Lovers. Have you seen the film The Lovers (by Tsui Hark)? It's a beautiful screen version of that tale. Highly recommended.

Hi Trekcapri --

Oh, wow, you're visiting while on vacation! Thanks for taking the time to drop by during it. :)

Hi again Ann --

Magiceye's butterflies are more focused on food while mine... ;b

Anonymous said...

VERY cool pictures!!

Anonymous said...

looks like u caught them in the act, pretty cool.

Suzy said...

Lovely pics. the second one is amazing.

YTSL said...

Hi joysandrewards --

Phew! I was worried that some Photo Hunters might think that the photos were uncool but thus far -- touch wood -- the reaction (like yours) has been pretty positive. Thanks! :)

Hi ewok1993 --

Yeah, I reckon I most certainly did! ;b

Hi Suzy --

Glad you like the pics. :)

Anneke (Mudhooks) said...

Birds do it. Bees do it. Even butterflies do it!

I have procrastinated for a couple of weeks but finally got around to doing it this week.

http://mudpuddle.wordpress.com/2011/11/14/photo-hunt-two/

Raine said...

The second butterfly pic was quite a great capture of the illusion. :D Here's my Two

YTSL said...

Hi Anneke --

I've never actually seen bees and birds doing it but butterflies... oh ya, they most certainly do it alright! As for you: er... I take it you meant participating in Photo Hunt, right? ;D

Hi Raine --

It's no illusion, it's reality! ;b

Anonymous said...

Really beautiful!

YTSL said...

Hi azahar --

Thank you for thinking so. :)