Sunday, April 24, 2022

Sights to see in the vicinity of Wah Fu, Waterfall Bay and the Aberdeen West Typhoon Shelter (Photo-essay)

After having gotten back to hiking ways a couple of weeks ago, I've lapsed again with regards to going out onto the hiking trails this week as the temperatures have risen and I have renewed my acquaintance with bugs that bite and cause skin allergies to flare up.  Soon, I fear, it'll even be too hot to take long urban walks.  For now, though, that's still enjoyable as well as doable -- and for those who didn't think it: yes, there really are sections and corners of Hong Kong I've yet to visit (along with places that I've been meaning to revisit after having not doing so in a while)!
 
Back in my first year in Hong Kong, I went over to Wah Fu and Waterfall Bay.  A couple of weeks ago, I decided to revisit the area and, after spending time there (including at Waterfall Bay Park), I ended up walking over to Aberdeen.  Along the way, I came across what I initially took for a footbridge that would take me over to Ap Lei Chau, only to realize when I had walked along a good part of the structure that it actually was the breakwater of a typhoon shelter!  And yes, I felt a bit silly after making this discovery -- but I also got in some cool views from it.  So, no regrets really re having been on it, and any part of that afternoon's excursion, actually!  (And I hope you'll get a sense why after seeing the following pictures taking on it!)

Public estates in Hong Kong (like Wah Fu) are more colorful and 
photogenic than those to be found in many other parts of the world
 
It's also not uncommon for public housing estates to be located 
 
View from Waterfall Bay of a container ship 
passing through the East Lamma Channel
 
Also in the area: a swim spot with lovely scenic views!
 
And then there's the home of abandoned gods (that 
included Aladdin's Genie as the more usual Taoist deities!)
-- or, at least, abandoned figurines of the gods -- in the area! :O
 
See why I thought this was a bridge that would
take me over to Ap Lei Chau?
 
For some people, the breakwater's a good place to 
hang out and do a spot of fishing
 
Meanwhile, I got to thinking this might be a good spot
to take in a sunset one of these days :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Re Waterfall Bay, you should go there after a rain storm in order to see its full glory. It may not be that sticky too as the current is mostly sewage from Pokfulam Village of sort. Last time I was there there are foams down at the pool.

Re the small causeway, there used to be a small group of feral cats there. Volunteers used to feed them. But in the past fives years or so the cats had disappeared. At least I cannot see them over from Ap Lei Chai. Mostly people go there fishing or sun bathing these days.

Do you know there is a ruin of military observation post at the other side of the road where to small causeway is situated? It is much overgrown and may be difficult to see.

T

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sound like a lovely hike.
Coffee is on and stay safe

sarah bailey knight said...

Looks like a lovely walk on a nice day. Enjoyed your photos as always.

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Eurk re the Waterfall Bay's waterfall's water being mostly sewage as when I was at Waterfall Bay, there were kids playing in it!

Re the causeway/breakwater: didn't see any cats there but, indeed, did see anglers. And also a model/actress and photography/film crew!

Didn't know about the ruined military observation post! Will try to check it out the next time I'm in the area!

Hi peppylady --

This was more a stroll rather than a hike -- but, yes, pleasant. :)

Hi sarah --

Thanks for the appreciation. Funny, but there weren't many responses to this set of photos when I posted them on FB -- and, also, Twitter! ;(

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

If you count the whole stream up the slopes, there are actually at least three waterfalls:

1. The one at seaside (the most well known one)
2. The one where the stream crosses Victoria Road;
3. The one where the stream crosses Pokfulam Road;

See the map I sent you seperately.

T

YTSL said...

Hi again T --

Thanks for the info!