Thursday, April 23, 2020

Hiking as a means to de-stress and get away from the crowds for a time in Hong Kong (Photo-essay)

In my first year in Hong Kong, I discovered not only the joys of hiking but also how stress-relieving the activity can be.  Before too long, I got into the habit of going hiking at least once a week.  Initially, I made sure to never hike alone. In recent years, however, I've got the confidence to go on (more) hikes by myself.  And now, with "social distancing" being recommended in the wake of the Wuhan coronavirus pandemic, hiking alone is the ideal.  In addition, I now am actively looking to go on trails that don't have much traffic along them.  

Fortunately, despite the image that most people have of Hong Kong as a crowded concrete jungle, there really are lots of hiking trails in the Big Lychee where one can be away from crowds of people along with built up areas.  One trick to finding them is to avoid the major -- and consequently more well-known -- trails such as the Dragon's Back or those sections of the Lantau Trail that take one up and down Sunset Peak and Lantau Peak.  Another is to go on a non-public holiday weekday.  (I know not everyone can do this, and understand what a privilege this is!)  

In short: given the right choice of trail and time to go on them, even those hiking trails that are easy to get to by public transportation -- such as the ones I went on a few days ago that took me from Braemar Hill to Quarry Bay -- can turn out to be ones where you'll not see (m)any other people for a good part of them... :) 

An added bonus of being on a quiet trail: increased chances
to come across all manner of wild critters!
 
Where this view compass was located, and stupendous views were 
to be had, was actually the most crowded section of this hike I went on 
(with my having to share this space with a mother and her two kids!)
 
Even this inviting bench was unoccupied when I was in its vicinity!
 
In a much quieter and less crowded part of Hong Kong than 
many people -- especially non-hikers -- are able to imagine exists!
 
Clumps of red amidst the green and rocks on the side of Mount Parker!
 
A far closer view of one of those clumps of red leaves
 
 A novel view of a sunlit butterfly 
 
 The sight of those tall buildings were a sure sign 
that I was near hike's end

No comments: