Sunday, June 9, 2024

Still really f**king loving Hong Kong on the 5th anniversary of the 1 million strong anti-extradition bill march (Photo-essay)

This past June 4th, I was out and about in various parts of Hong Kong in the afternoon.  In Victoria Park, where the June 4th candlelight vigil regularly and officially took place through to 2019, I encountered a crazy amount of cops.  
 
Earlier today, the 5th anniversary of the 1 million anti-extradition bill protest march, I was in Victoria Park and elsewhere in Hong Kong again.  To my surprise, I didn't see many cops out and about at all.  Consequently, I felt emboldened to effectively walk once more from Causeway Bay to Admiralty this afternoon -- during which I came across some interesting sights enroute.
 
I know that, from the outside, it might seem that Hong Kongers have given up their fight for, and dreams of, democracy and justice.  But, honestly, I feel like I regularly see signs to this day that this is not the case.  Today, I present to you some of them -- and if they seem on the overly humble and trivial side, remember that there are now not one but two security laws in force in Hong Kong, and the penalties for being adjudged to break them are very dire indeed.   

Spotted earlier this week -- and, in all likelihood,
scribbled in recent weeks or months (as it's so fresh looking!)
 
The same message, less clearly written, spotted earlier today
 
A message (Keep Hong Kong Free) that I'm going to assume 
is from 2019, but is still visible in 2024
 
Also from 2019 -- barely discernible in 2024 but I feel
like I can make out an "Add Oil HK" there
 
Far more clearly, rendered in Chinese characters:
"Hong Kong people, add oil"
 
Also from 2019 but much more clearly visible, 
if you know where to find it
 
Good words to live by
 
It may not always be clear but yeah, 

No comments: