Saturday, December 17, 2011

Joy (This week's Photo Hunt theme)





Funny but true: When I'm feeling good, I often describe myself as feeling happy, elated, exhilarated and even ecstatic but I don't usually talk about feeling joyful, joyeous or just being imbued with a sense of joy. Of course this is not to say that the word is not alien to me. After all, I'm familiar with the Joy to the World phrase and hymn.

Still, the plain fact of the matter is that I tend to associate the word less with a certain feeling and more with a particular person. For Joy happens to be the name of a good friend I made at college (and who I know -- from e-mails she sends me from time to time -- does occasionally (or is it regularly?) check out my blog! ;b).

Although we've remained in touch (thanks largely to the wonders of the internet), I've actually not seen Joy for years, decades even. I've not given up hope though of our meeting up again some time in the future. This especially with it being so that since moving to Hong Kong, a number of friends from the American phases of my life have come visiting -- including, one November day last year, a mutual friend of Joy and myself from our Beloit days.

Kathleen Adams may now be a Loyola University of Chicago professor but I -- and, I'm sure Joy too -- tend to think of her still as one of my favorite Beloit profs... and also a professor who actually became a good and fun friend. (Among other things, even when I was an undergraduate, Kathleen and I would do stuff like be part of an informal anchovy pizza eating cabal, go drinking together -- and also played for the same intramural indoor soccer team one year! (And for those who are wondering, this kind of student-professor relationship wasn't that unusual... Beloit was/is that kind of place!))

So I was really happy to play host to Kathleen and her family for a day when they came sailing into Victoria Harbour on what looked like a very nice cruise ship-turned-floating college courtesy of the Semester at Sea. Since they were conveniently docked next to the Tsim Sha Tsui Star Ferry pier, one of the first things we did was to take the Star Ferry over to Central. After arriving in Central, we caught a bus up to The Peak -- where we lunched at a Tsui Wah, then did one round of the Victoria Peak Circuit (whose northern side offers up particularly splendid views of Hong Kong).

All in all, I think a good time was had by all. So Joy, if you're reading this, here's offering to take you on the same -- or similar -- excursion should you come over to Hong Kong for a visit, okay? And in the meantime, here's offering up some photos to you (and other visitors to this blog) from that day to enjoy -- courtesy of this Photo Hunt entry. (And on the subject of Photo Hunt, I am glad that it is being continued after all, albeit with a new host(ess) and, consequently, meme button! :b )

24 comments:

magiceye said...

beautiful take on the joyous theme!

MaR said...

Loved your post on the theme. My dear friend's second name is Joy, you reminded me of her :)

Happy holidays!
Joy

YTSL said...

Hi magiceye --

Glad you like my take on the theme. I like yours too -- even if it didn't turn out to be a toy seller's cart like I thought it was! ;b

Hi Mar --

Sounds like the Joys we know are true to their names. :)

Gattina said...

Like the skyscraper picture !
My friend's son is named "Joy" apparently it's for both sexes.

Bel said...

Great Blog Post - and love the photos. Makes me want to go there. Thank you. :)

Anneke (Mudhooks) said...

I do hope you get to see your friend, again, soon. I finally was contacted by my best friend from grade school. It was like no time passed. Sadly, she died a year later of lung cancer... At least we were able to have that short time of friendship, again.

Annie said...

Nice take on the theme and I like your photos. I have a friend named Joy too - fun to read about yours.

Yes, I decided to participate in Gattina's hunt because I like her theme choices. Glad we all are still hunting!

Susan Demeter said...

I think your friend has a lovely name, and what a fun offer to spend some time :)

Trekcapri said...

Hi YTSL, great photos and a wonderful take on the theme. Hope you and joy have a chance in the near future to get together.

Have a wonderful weekend.

ancient one said...

I think a trip to visit all those places could bring me "JOY"..

gengen said...

Nice take for the theme. Happy weekend and visiting from PH!

Kathleen said...

Reading this brought back wonderful memories of a perfect day visiting you in Hong Kong last year. Danielle still talks about the walk atop Stanley and what a great time she had exploring the insect and plant life with you. Tell Joy (hi Joy!) she absolutely must find a way to get there to visit you! Our informal anchovy pizza eating kabal needs to have another meeting...

LifeRamblings said...

i hope you get the chance to meet Joy again. great photos.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

JOY has a special significance for you!
Thanks for joining the new Saturday PhotoHunt site.
See you next saturdy ~ I will try to remember to post early!!
Sandi

Liz said...

Lovely photos! Great take on the theme. Have a fabulous week.

Liz @ MLC

Carver said...

Great post! I also have a friend whose name is Joy. Your posts are always so well written and I also enjoy your photographs.

YTSL said...

Hi Gattina --

Didn't know Joy could be a boy's name! Thanks for sharing that bit of info -- and also for visiting today. :)

Hi Bel --

Hong Kong is a great place to visit. So hope you do visit some time. :)

Hi Anneke (Mudhooks) --

So sorry to hear about your grade school friend but am glad that you guys did have your reunion -- and that you consequently have more good memories to remember her by.

Hi Annie --

I'm going to try and see if I can create a Photo Hunt entry each Saturday that can incorporate both Gattina and Sandi's themes...

Hi Sue --

I hope Joy will think the offer sounds fun too... ;b

Hi Trekcapri --

Thanks once again for visiting, looking, reading and appreciating. :)

Hi ancient one --

I think you may well be right there! :)

Hi gengen --

Thanks and happy weekend and Photo Hunting to you too. :)

Hi Kathleen --

Thanks for reading and I'm glad my entry brings back good memories for you. One small correction: we walked around Victoria Peak -- Stanley's far south. (I know, all those English names can be so confusing! ;b) Hope Joy reads what you write for herself. And next time we meet, we should have anchovy pizza together again! :D

Hi Life Ramblings --

I hope so too -- thanks. :)

Hi Sandi --

Joy most certainly has a special significance to me. And thanks for posting early -- it really is a boon that you do. :)

Hi Liz --

Thanks and hope you have a good week too! :)

Hi Carver --

Thanks for visiting and for the kind words. They're much appreciated. :)

Alice Audrey said...

Joy is such an old fashioned word, isn't it? I'm generally just happy.

CherryPie said...

I love your take on the theme :-)

Joy said...

Yvonne! I was tickled (and honored) to read your post. Of course I'd love to see you again, in HK or elsewhere.

Beloit has given me so many treasured memories and friends, including you. (And hi back to Kathleen!)

I hope we do get to meet again, 'though I think I'll skip the anchovy pizza. :) Happy Holidays!

Long live old friendships...

Suzy said...

Nice pics and nice interpretation of the theme. thanks for sharing.

YTSL said...

Hi Alice Audrey --

I'm not sure about old fashioned but it's true enough that I don't really use it to describe a state of happiness! ;b

Hi CherryPie --

Thanks, am glad that it's to your liking. :)

Hi Joy!!! --

Great to see you commenting on this particular blog entry. I'm glad that we've kept in touch over the years -- and that one way you do so is by checking out my blog. :)

Hi Suzy --

You're welcome re the sharing. Thanks for looking, reading and appreciating. :)

Melissa said...

Great photos! Love your take on the theme. :)

YTSL said...

Hi Mel --

Thanks for your visit and appreciation. :)