Tuesday, July 19, 2011

From Sai Wan Pavilion to Tai Long Wan (Photo-essay)


One very hot day last summer, a friend and I hiked to Sai Kung's Tai Long Wan (as opposed to those on Hong Kong Island (better known as Big Wave Bay, the English meaning of the Cantonese "tai long wan"), Cheung Chau and Lantau (of which there are two -- both of which are always known as Tai Long Wan rather than Big Wave Bay). So memorable was out of outing that I felt compelled to blog about it soon after my return to my apartment in the evening.

However it's only now that I'm putting up the photo-essay of the hike. (So yes, this will give you an idea how far back I am in terms of my hike chronicling via photo-essays!) Or, rather, the first photo-essay of the hike... for there definitely will be at least another to come after this one! ;b

A few minutes into our hike, we were greeted with this
splendid view of a section of
High Island Reservoir

Our first views of Sai Wan and Tai Long Wan
weren't too shabby either!

On the beach at Sai Wan

Looking northwestwards at Sai Wan (whose name
translates from Cantonese as West Bay even though
it's actually located in northeast Hong Kong!)


A part of Tai Long Wan in danger of being ruined
by development (and near where
I nonchalantly
skipped over a big black snake that I mistook
for
a large hose before it started moving on its own accord!)


Wouldn't it be better to leave this place
close to nature like it presently is?


Though of course this isn't to say that
there isn't a place for warning signs where necessary!

Truly, some more great views lie ahead! :b

Definitely to be continued! :)

3 comments:

ewaffle said...

Once again when I think of Hong Kong the last thing that occurs to me is undeveloped land that has been kept that way--this blog, with its great pictures of the views one can get during a hike is a very nice counter to that.

Very happy to see this post since I have been avoiding those that are overpopulated with spiders and (especially) stink bugs having sex and eating. We don't see those huge, multi-colored arachnids in the upper Midwest of the USA since the winter kills them off (I think).

peppylady (Dora) said...

Is your inland or fresh water form glacier. The reason I'm asking your inland water is some what like ours.

Coffee is on.

YTSL said...

Hi ewaffle --

Thanks for appreciating my hiking scenery photos... but wow, you too re people not partial to spiders (and stink bugs having sex)?! :O

And yes, I have to say that I never saw spiders like the ones I've seen in Hong Kong anywhere else, including Wisconsin. I guess that's why I find them so fascinating -- and, really, I do find them pretty too! :)

Hi peppylady --

That's a fresh water reservoir but the water most definitely is not from a glacier. (There aren't any glaciers in Hong Kong. It's just too hot for that!)