Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pictures from the HKIFF


The 32nd Hong Kong International Film Festival (HKIFF for short) officially got off and running this past Monday but its film programme only began on Tuesday and its official Grand Opening Ceremony only took place earlier tonight. (I realize that it's now early Wednesday morning but it still feels like Tuesday night to me!)

On a personal note, I will have to wait until at least Thursday evening to get a chance to check out some of its screenings since we've got until sometime on Thursday to get the latest issue of bc magazine off to the printers. But in a way, the festivalling has already begun as film fan friends have started arriving town and I start bumping into familiar faces who come to Hong Kong especially to attend the HKIFF.

Also, this year, I actually have an official press pass and invites -- albeit more often than not to the press pen than the VIP area! -- to HKIFF functions. And it was at the Opening Ceremony and Cocktail Reception that preceded it where I managed to snap the following photos that those Asian movie fans among you will hopefully get a kick out of checking out:-

Who's attracting all this press attention?

Why, this year's HKIFF Ambassador, of course!
(And for those who can't recognize her,
it's none other than Sammi Cheng)

Also at the event: Director Yoji Yamada
(the grey haired guy on the right) --
and isn't that Tadanobu Asano on Yamada-san's right?

Actor Samuel Pang on the left and... uh, help, please
re identifying the two other people in the picture!

11 comments:

Glenn, kenixfan said...

Longshot guess in the bottom picture but is that Monie Tung from Single Blog? looks like her to me.

(but after my faux pas mixing up Miu Kiu-Wai with Leon Lai, I don't know if you can trust my eyesight! LOL!)

Sammi looks great -- as elegant as usual.

Does she have a new film coming out? She hasn't done anything since Everlasting Regret right? I guess I should watch it eventually.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Looks like your new camera is working :P KiT ©

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Please keep them coming :)

Sammi looks wonderful.



Asano Tadonobu looks definitely dashing. I'm so glad that he is with short hair now.

sarah bailey knight said...

Another long shot guess but is the guy on our right in the bottom photo Gordon Lam Ka Tung??

Totally agree with eliza bennet please more pictures and Asano Tadonobu looks great with the short hair!!!!

And Sammi looks wonderful.

YTSL said...

Hi Glenn --

To be honest, I can't remember what Monie Tung looks like -- and this is after seeing her in "Single Blog" and also "Whispers and Moans"! So maybe you're right there!

Re Sammi: She does have a new movie coming out. Can't remember the name but it's a cop movie -- or, at least, she plays a policewoman in it -- and co-stars Eason Chan.

Hi Kit --

Yep, my new camera is indeed working. :)

Hi "Eliza Bennet" --

Thanks and I'll see what I can do. And yes, I too prefer to see Asano with short hair. :)

Hi sbk --

Sorry, doubt that the guy on the right in the bottom photo is Gordon Lam Ka Tung. Lam's thinner, don't you think?

And yeah, Sammi looked great and appeared quite "in character" at the function too! :)

Anonymous said...

That's a very close shot of Sammi Cheng!! OOoOo.. I love your job so much. Do you need an assistant? (I am serious!!!) Anyway, I have only met Sammi once - during her concert at Genting Highlands in June last year. Hhaha...

Seriously, do you need an assitant? (=

YTSL said...

Hi Pelfy --

Bear in mind that my new camera has a great zoom lens... ;b

Seriously though, yeah, was pretty close to Sammi. And I don't get to have a personal assistant but bc magazine IS looking for a general editorial assistant. Can you speak Cantonese, read Chinese and are willing to move to Hong Kong? If so, you're welcome to apply for that position! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply. I can speak Cantonese, but I can't read and write like an expert. That's the problem!!! Argh! But I am planning to take up language courses after I graduate (in May). teeheehee... I have relatives in Hong Kong - so moving there is not a problem, I guess (= And yes, I've just bought a camera and it has average zoom lens. Am currently freelancing so that I am able to buy a great zoom lens.. soon (= teheeheh (= have a great day! and keep posting interesting pictures. I love them all (=

YTSL said...

Hi again Pelfy --

It's a problem only with certain jobs. So I'd encourage you to not give up on looking for a job in Hong Kong if that's what you want to do. :)

Willow said...

Nobody figured out who were those unidentified two in your pic, eh? Beats me too. I think if you're made-up and dressed nicely, it might be easy to fool people into thinking you're "somebody." heheh.

YTSL said...

Hi Willow --

It might be easy to fool people into thinking that you're 'somebody' if you're dressed up but do think that these people are 'somebodies'. And/but yes, I'm still waiting for someone to identify those two folks in the picture for me! ;b