Sunday, April 18, 2010

"That's worth flying all the way to Hong Kong for..."*


A meal for two that looks well balanced --
with carbs (rice), vegetables (tung choi), meat, dipping sauces
(including one made from plum) and liquids (tea and beer)...

...but one look at the meats gets one realizing
it's more decadently delicious than good for you! ;b

Earlier today, a friend enquired when I started writing my blog -- and it was a with a bit of a jolt that I got to recalling that I started this blog back in 2006. Looking back to that time in my life, I also got to realizing how different it all was for me then. For one thing, I was living in Penang rather than Hong Kong then. For another, I was just watching on TV -- and in Hong Kong movies ;) -- things that I get the chance to do, and go about doing, as a matter of course these days.

As an example, one of my favorite TV shows back then was Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations -- with his Hong Kong episode being one of my favorites in the series. Watching the episode for the first time, it tickled me to no end that he was taken to dine at the Four Seasons Claypot Rice place that my mother and I had previously discovered and would regularly go to on our visits to The Big Lychee.

But it's thanks to Mr. Bourdain that I learnt about other great places to eat in Hong Kong -- including the Tung Po Seafood Restaurant that I recently ate at again this past Wednesday, and the roast meat place whose roast goose many people (including myself) reckon has Yung Kee's beat (and at which I had a really satisfying dinner post hike with a friend last Sunday).

And while I wouldn't go so far as Anthony Bourdain, who can be heard intoning in the TV show that at Yat Lok Barbecue Restaurant, "it's all about the goose" (because I think that the rich tasting roast goose and the fluffy white rice complement each other and bring out the best aspects of the other ingredient), it's certainly true enough that even while the suckling pig may look like the more delectable meat in the photo, it really was the goose that made this meal as yummy as it was... :b

*And yes, Anthony Bourdain really did say that Yat Lok's roast goose is worth flying all the way to Hong Kong for. Talk about a major free endorsement from a foodie god! :DDD

5 comments:

sarah bailey knight said...

hi ytsl,

Your meal looks so delicious it makes me hungry just looking at your photos....and I just had dinner.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, Yat Lok is virtually my local (my kids like to watch the fish in the tank), but I didn't find out about the Bourdain stuff until last year sometime.
I want to know what he was doing all the way out here!!!

Never had the goose there though.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Well, if/when you visit Hong Kong when I'm (still) here, will take you to that restaurant if you like. :)

Hi orientalsweetlips (Phil) --

You didn't notice the Anthony Bourdain video clip that plays a lot in that restaurant? ;b

Also, PLEASE try the roast goose some time. It really is wonderful! :)

Anonymous said...

Every time I go in there they are playing an underwater/reef life video (which is cool because I like scuba diving).

I WILL try the goose...one day :-)

YTSL said...

Hi again Phil --

I've seen that underwater/reel life video at Yat Lok too. ;b

And I have eaten other foods at the restaurant in addition to the roast goose -- but, in all honesty, that is the best thing by far that I've eaten there. Also, strangely enough, its char siew wasn't that impressive!