Saturday, January 16, 2021

An enjoyable hike in the interior of southwest Lantau (Photo-essay)

2021 has not shown itself to be all that great a year thus far -- with continued political ructions as well as pandemic problems in the three territories that I hold the most dear (and, not coincidentally, have spent the most part of my life in).  In all honesty, what's been happening in Hong Kong alone seems enough to put more gray into my hair and worry lines onto my face.  But when I factor in what's been happening in the USA and Malaysia too, never mind the world at large, I sometimes find myself wondering how much more my heart can take.   
 
To help with both my mental and physical health, I've found myself turning to exercise and continued Hong Kong exploration by way of urban walks and countryside hikes.  And even while I was again dealt reminders of Hong Kong now being home to political prisoners on my most recent hike (this time by way of my catching sight of Shek Pik Prison, the maximum security facility where Joshua Wong is currently incarcerated), I must say that my first hike of 2021 was generally very enjoyable, and even outright exhilarating at times.     
 
For the first time in close to three years, I returned to a part of Hong Kong which I really like -- and would go to more often if it were more easily accessible.  As it stands, going there and back involves two bus and one ferry rides each way for me.  At least, as far as the hiking part of the excursion is concerned, things have been made quite a bit easier by my having discovered that one can access and leave the inland section of southwest Lantau without completing Stages 5 and 6 of the Lantau Trail in their entirety... :b
 
Cows resting by the trailhead
 
After warming up by walking for about half an hour along a 
catchwater with some scenic views, it's time to head uphill
 
Click on the image to get a panoramic view of Lung Tsai Ng Yuen,
whose continued existence I was glad to confirm on this hike
 
For a good part of our five hour hike, the only other person
I saw was my hike companion for the day!
 
I really do get the feeling that not that many people
have actually got to cast their eyes on this beautiful vista
 
The hike's high point: the view from Ling Wu Shan :)
 
Going down that hill is hairier than ideal but the views 
on the descent really are quite something --
and definitely worth stopping from time to time to savor
 
The loop route I had decided on took longer (5 hours) 
than anticipated to complete but we did manage to
get to the bus stop at hike end before darkness fell :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

That is a pleasant route. I have gone through it about four or five times in the past few decades. Twice before the Trial was rerouted. But for those two times, I started from Silvermine Bey at around 0730 hrs after having dim sum breakfest. That was 3X years ago.

The most recent one (a few years back) I started from Tung Chung and just about at lunch hour and reached Ng Yuen after dark. Other than those people up at Ngong Ping, met nobody else before reaching Tai O.

I'd like to go again, maybe in March, when I am not on-duty.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Yikes, it sounds like you hiked through far more than just southwest Lantau in one fell swoop on a number of occasions! You must be super fit, scarily so even! :D

I passed 20 people, tops, between the hike trailhead and Ng Yuen. Saw very few people after that. It really did feel that the friend I was out with and I had the whole area to ourselves for at least three of the hours that we hiked there! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

That was over 30 years ago. That two trips starting from Silvermine bay were generally following the Lantau Trial, with the exception of going up Nam Shan using the ancient trial instead the highway. Three major peaks in one go.

The first time I did it, it lasted for a bit more than eight hours. We had early dinner a bit after 1630 hrs at Siu Kei Yuen in Tai O. My thighs sored for a whole week and had to walk very awkward.

I could still walk for over 30,000 paces and a bit more in a day if I have to, preferably on more even grounds. Now that I am tens of Kgs heavier than 30 years ago, if I am doing these crazy extra long hikes again, I guess it may take 10 hours or even more, if I don't collaspe on the way somewhere. I guess after all these years, I don't want to push that hard again.

Concerning meeting nobody in the trip, I guess that's basically what we hope for these days. It's just too bloody crowded in popular places. One has to go to more inconvenient and more remote places in order to be left alone. or with fewer by standers. But that worth the hassle in the end. I only want to hear the wind, birds and insects and any other natural noises.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Even if it all that marathon hiking took place 30 years ago, I can't imagine you being physically unfit even now -- as your 30,000 paces comment shows! For myself, I aim for 10,000 steps a day and consider it a very good day out if I go beyond 20,000 steps.

As for popular places being overly crowded these days: it can feel like the whole of Hong Kong has taken up hiking, doesn't it? In some ways, it makes sense since gyms, swimming pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, massage parlors, cinemas, etc. are currently closed! A comment I read over the holiday period made me laugh as well as wince: that at Dragon's Back, Hong Kongers could indulge in their two favorite past times -- hiking and queueing! ;(

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

My BMI is nearly 29, which earned a bit of a disdained look from the nurse last time I did a check-up. I do not consider myself fat despite I have a bit of a belly. Most of my body weight are on my legs. Maybe that was why I could still sustain long walks. Anyway, at my age I guess I am way past my prime if fitness is concerned.

T

YTSL said...

Hi once more T --

I just checked and while Hong Kong might consider a BMI 29 to be obese, it's normal in other parts of the world (e.g., the US)!