Thursday, May 18, 2023

A rejuvenating hike from the Peak down to Aberdeen (Photo-essay)

A Canadian friend who's visited Hong Kong many times before but not for some four years is currently here.  He told me he wanted to do more hiking than he had previously done and in parts of Hong Kong he previously had not set foot in.  After determining that he had never gone on this particular route, I took him on a hike from the Peak down to Aberdeen.
 
It's a route that I've been on multiple time over the years and/but enjoyed each time for the varied scenery that it offers up.  And I'm glad to say that my friend was able to appreciate its charms too.  At one point, he said, "I can see how a hike like this would help you to rejuvenate and re-appreciate Hong Kong".  And that just about sums it all up really! :)
 
Spotted early on in the hike: a butterfly with parts of its wings 
missing yet still is able to fly as well as is very much alive
-- a metaphor for Hong Kong in 2023? :S
 
As I told my friend: I'm sorry but it's well nigh impossible
to find a hike route that doesn't have ups and downs in Hong Kong!
 
Umbrellas at a pavillion -- I assume they were put up there by the
morning walkers that regularly visit but would it also be fair to assume 
that they are free for passersby to take and use in rainy weather?!
 
View of Aberdeen and the surrounding area which shows well
how urban and rural parts of Hong Kong are so close together
 
View of Aberdeen and Ap Lei Chau which includes the
 
A spot which my friend thought would be a good place
to go swimming on a hot summer's day ;b
 
A look back up at the fog covered Peak got us counting our
good fortune that it was less humid and wet a few hundred feet down below!
 
The old St Peter's Secondary School building's covered
with 
way more greenery than when I last saw it a year or two ago! :O

2 comments:

Tom said...

It is always impressive to see how nature and urbanity live so close together in Japan! Very nice hike this said! Excellent day to you.

YTSL said...

Hi Tom --

Nature and urbanity can exist close together in Japan but... er... the hike I chronicled took place in Hong Kong!