Monday, January 30, 2023

Chinese New Year flower and critter spotting on my second Chinese New Year hike of 2023 (Photo-essay)

On my hike last week, I had hoped to see Chinese New Year flowers -- seeing as it was Chinese New Year already and all -- but I came up blank on that score and wondered if Chinese New Year had come too early this year for the flowers to bloom.  A few days ago though, a friend posted her photos of these seasonal flora that I look forward to seeing each year on Facebook.  So I decided to hike this afternoon in sections of Tai Tam Country Park where I had come across clumps of Chinese New Year flowers in previous years.

I'm happy to report that I was successful in making some Chinese New Year flowers on my hike.  But, actually, there were fewer of them in bloom than when I hiked in the area on the 15th day of Chinese New Year last year.  On the other hand, I made quite a few critter spottings: specifically, of birds and boars.  And got in a generally nice hike on a beautiful blue sky, crisp air day.  So, all in all, it was a very pleasant afternoon out in the Hong Kong outdoors once more! :)
 
Proof that it really was a bright blue sky day! :)
 
When visibility is high, Tai Mo Shan can seem not so 
far away even when one's on Hong Kong Island!
 
Me and my (long) shadow out hiking in Hong Kong :)
 
If you can see beyond Kowloon Peak to a number of
other New Territories mountain ranges and mountains,
you know that the air is clear and visibility high that day! :)
 
Enough scenic views!  Now for some bird pics, including
of this fat orange breasted critter (who I'd appreciate
someone IDing for me!)
 
Another avian beauty that I'd appreciate getting an ID for!
 
Okay, at least I can ID these flowers with absolute certainty:
and yes, these are the famous Chinese New Year flowers! :)
 
And this, dear readers, is one of 10 wild boar
that I caught sight of on the hike today :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I do not have my book in the office, but Google Image search did alright. The first bird appeared to be a Grey-backed thrush (https://ebird.org/species/gybthr1) where the second one appeared to be a Blue Whistling Thrush (https://ebird.org/species/blwthr1).

Also good to know there are still lots of wild boars around. Hope this flock knows to get away from us.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Thanks for the bird IDs! Wow re their both being thrushes despite looking so very different from each other! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Suggest to go to the Nam Sang Wai\Kam Tin Riger neighbourhood soon as season is changing. The migrating birds may soon depart.

Went there agian yesterday and spotted quite over ten species of birds, mostly water birds\waiders. I was lucky. I saw a black face spoonbill and a white breast kingfisher. Still, lots of ducks, herons of all sorts.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Thanks for the recommendation. BTW, the last time I went to the Hong Kong Wetlands Park (last month), I saw more than 10 black faced spoonbills! :)