Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ponyo trailers (Japanese vs French vs American)


Because it's still not yet out on DVD anywhere in the world (and for that matter, hasn't even made it to American cinemas just yet), I content myself with playing with and gazing at my beloved Ponyo plush and occasionally going online to check out Ponyo trailers.

The very first of these that I discovered was the original Japanese trailer that I found cute and fun. Then came the French trailer which I really do think is a lovely piece of art in and of itself.

For the life of me, I can't decide whether I like the Japanese or French trailer better as each has its merits. (I love the Japanese voice of Ponyo -- even when I can't understand what it's saying! -- but also love the French trailer for using that wonderful Joe Hisaishi composition that also features in the film proper.)

Still, one thing's for sure: Both are miles better than the American version -- including at capturing the movie's sense of magic along with beauty. So should you deign to check out the American trailer, do then go back and watch either of the other trailers to wipe the bad taste in your mouth that the stupid version temporarily left behind!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you, YTSL. The French trailer captures the beauty and grandeur of Miyazaki's films. The Japanese trailer captures the warmth and humanism. While the American trailer acts like it has to try hard to sell the film, with its trite accolades and list of big-name Hollywood actors doing the voices.

In any event, at least the American trailer signifies that I'll be able to see this film soon on the big screen. Although I will definitely be snatching up an original-language DVD as soon as it appears (hopefully as a cheaper Hong Kong edition).

Looks like a wonderful film, and a return to form after Howl's Moving Castle, which is my least favorite of Miyazaki's films.

YTSL said...

Hi duriandave --

"The French trailer captures the beauty and grandeur of Miyazaki's films. The Japanese trailer captures the warmth and humanism. While the American trailer acts like it has to try hard to sell the film".

Exactly and well said! It's like the people publicising the film still don't get that it's great. In which case, if I hadn't seen the film and knew nothing about Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli, etc. as well as don't feel convinced that they think they're selling me a good product, it would hardly make me feel interested in checking out the work... :S

And speaking of dumbed down American trailers of other films: just also compare the Hong Kong vs American trailers of "Chungking Express"...

And yes, agreed re "Howl's Moving Castle" being my least favorite Miyazaki. FWIW, I reckon "Ponyo"'s at least as good as "Spirited Away", if not better.

Willow said...

This is going to be in US theaters? It seems only the animated works from the big guns ever find their way to cinemas.

YTSL said...

Hi Willow --

Well, I consider Hayao Miyazaki a "big gun". So... ;b