Monday, January 19, 2009

Day out in Tai Mei Tuk (photo-essay)


2008 was one of those years in which I was unable to take a day off work on my birthday. On a happier note: made up for this by -- among other things -- spending the Sunday after my birthday with my mother (visiting from Malaysia), a Hong Konger friend and her mother, and two other friends on the Tai Mei Tuk Family Walk, exploring a bit more of the surrounding area, then enjoying a substantial barbecue dinner and, in between, being treated to beautiful sunset sights over at Tai Mei Tuk over in Northeast Hong Kong...

View of Tolo Harbour and Wong Chuk Tsuen
(N.B. tsuen means "village" in Cantonese)

The dam in the center of the photo is what
separates the waters of Tolo Harbour (on the right)
and Plover Cove Reservoir (on the left)

Lower level view of
the Tolo Harbour side of the same dam

View of Pat Sin Leng (Eight Fairies
(or Immortals) Range) from the dam

View across Tolo Harbour of Ma On Shan (trans.,
Saddle Ridge Mountain) and the nearby new town
that the mountain range has given its name to

The sun was setting as we made our way to dinner

Unbelievably, I think the (immediately) post sunset
photos turned out to be even more beautiful
than those taken as the sun was setting!

See what I mean? :b

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful. I like the second picture the best. It looks like those people along the dam are having a good time.

YTSL said...

Hi laicheukpan --

Glad you saw and liked the photos! And yeah, people seemed to be having a good time -- lots of people strolling about, bicycling, flying kites, etc.! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful captures of the scenic views of Tai Mei Tuk :)

YTSL said...

Hi Napaboaniya --

Thanks for visiting and commenting on a non-Photo Hunt post and day! :)

sarah bailey knight said...

hi ytsl

The next to last photo is so beautiful. The color of the sky and the muted grays of the hills give a very painterly look to the photo.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Must say that I love all the post-sunset photos I took at Tai Mei Tuk that Sunday. Their beauty almost took my breath away when I saw how the photos came out! :)

ewaffle said...

Lovely photos, particularly the last two. They look like the kind of image that calendar companies try to get--well composed, muted colors, unusual view of a oft-photographed panorama.

YTSL said...

Hi ewaffle --

Thanks for the complimentary comments re my photos! :)

peppylady (Dora) said...

I like the 6th photo it remind me sitting in a boat and day dreaming.
Happy Birthday.

Coffee is on

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

It was a happy birthday! And the sunset I saw at Tai Mei Tuk that Sunday -- and the photos I took of it -- remain much treasured memories along with the rest of that day. :)