Thursday, March 15, 2007

Beauty in nature (Photo-essay)

Now for something different: namely, a selection of close-up photographs I took of things that grow in my father's garden over here in Penang coupled with some quotes and sayings which I've taken from this page for gardeners.

And should anyone wonder what prompted this attempt at some photographic artistry on my part, I'd hazard to suggest that the beautiful and/or creative images I've seen over at Life in Still Mode -- and on the photography pages of a pity i'm an aquarius and just me (the latter of whose lomography examples I particularly like) -- played a big part in inspiring me towards being more experimental plus artistic with my camera than I usually am wont to be.

Though, of course, some credit also has to go to the aesthetic wonder that is nature itself! ;b

If you truly love Nature,
you will find beauty everywhere.

-- Vincent Van Gogh

Beauty...is like the perfume of a rose:
you can smell it and that is all.
--
W. Somerset Maugham

Is it wholly fantastic to admit the possibility
that Nature herself
strove toward what we call beauty?
-- Joseph Wood Krutch

In the end, color combinations
come down to our personal preferences,

which we must discover through observation and experiment.
-- Montagu Don

Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.

Confronted with the vision of a beautiful garden,
we see something beautiful about ourselves.

-- Jeff Cox


You do not need to know anything about a plant
to know that it is beautiful.
-- Montagu Don

7 comments:

duriandave said...

Nice pics, YTSL! I especially like the one above the Kafka quote. It looks like a spider's web, the sun, and so much more. Your father has a beautiful garden. It must be a wonderful place to sit and read or just do nothing at all.

Anonymous said...

Wow YTSL! I really like the photo above the Joseph Wood Krutch quote-great texture. Please take more photos and share them with us.

YTSL said...

Hi duriandave and sbk --

I'm glad that you like the photos.

Re the one above the Kafka quote: Would you believe it's a close-up of a cactus? As for the photo above the Krutch quote: That's a close-up of a palm frond. :)

But what kind of cactus and what kind of palm, I can't say. Which, I guess, will tell you that I actually tend to take that garden for granted and don't spend that much time in it... ;(

...which is why it was interesting to go around it with a camera and effectively different eyes (for a change)! :)

just me said...

Oooo... photos... I like, I like. Nice photos too. I've been too busy to put up more on my blog. In fact, haven't even checked in on your blog for the past two to three days. Glad to see that you and your blog are doing well. =)

Unfortunately, I think I had a problem with my batteries in my lomo the other day and lost about 1 1/2 rolls of shots. A bit depressed about that since I had specifically gone back to Changi Broadwalk to shoot the evening sky etc. =(

BTW, thanks for the link back to my blog and I'm glad you like my photos. =)

Right, got to go, lots of work. Chat another day.

cheers

YTSL said...

Hi "just me" --

Glad to hear that you're able to check my blog again. ;)

Oh dear though re the problem with your batteries in your lomo. Hope you can get that resolved before too long.

just me said...

Hi YTSL,

I think I figured it out. I think the batteries just ran out of juice and since I've only had the camera for about a month and have shot maybe just 6 rolls of film on it, I simply didn't understand it enough to realise that. I should have noticed that the red light in my viewfinder wasn't lighting up... grrrr... but at least it's probably a small problem and not a shutter problem like I initially feared.

I did get a few accidental surprises in the lomo and a few nice shots of the setting sun on the V10. Will put them up when I have time. Now I have to go attend a wedding. =)

YTSL said...

Hi again "just me" --

Oooo! I look forward to seeing your shots of the setting sun... :)