Thursday, April 28, 2022

The third anniversary of the first China extradition bill protest that I took part in

 
"No extradition to Mainland China" was the 
simple demand three years ago today
 
Three years ago today, I took part in a very large as well as peaceful protest in Hong Kong against a certain China extradition plan/bill.  Back then, I marvelled at how many people had turned out to march on the streets that day.  I had no idea that a few months down the road, there'd be 1 million and even 2 million strong marches against that extradition bill.  And I certainly would not have been able to imagine how unwilling the Hong Kong government would be to listen to Hong Kong people and do what was best for Hong Kong (as opposed to its bosses up in Beijing).

Put another way: I (and the many other people who turned out to make our voices heard) was so idealistic then.  But while I'm far more cynical now, I still have no regrets about doing what I did on April 28th, 2019, and, subsequently, on June 9th, June 16th, etc. of that year.  And, actually, yes, I still believe that our cause was a righteous one and that we are on the right side of history rather than those who are currently -- but by no means permanently -- in the ascendancy in Hong Kong.

No comments: