Friday, July 4, 2008

Permatang Damar Laut (photo-essay)


It's been almost a week since I put up my previous blog entry -- in part because I've been travelling and then because, upon returning to Hong Kong, I had problems with my internet service (long story; short story: the problem has now been resolved). And although I'm more aware of photo theft risks and possibilities than before, here's deciding to go ahead and post some pictures taken during my visit back to Penang -- in particular, ones taken during a short hike that I trust will help to show off the beauty of Permatang Damar Laut, an area near the Penang International Airport that still is largely rural and unspoilt:-

A beauty spot presented itself
even before the start of the hike proper


As we walked along the path that was paved
but still far from busy and in a built up area...

...the distinct impression was that
the landscape was dominated by coconut trees...

...and interesting shaped rocks

To repeat (because it feels worth doing so):
the landscape's dominated by coconut trees...


...and interesting rocks (some of which
people are inclined to sit atop of
while fishing or just plain at leisure)


Also spied along the hike:
Some interesting vines and trees...

...and what amounts to a natural still life study
consisting of dried and fallen sections from a coconut tree
lying on top of green grass and associated ground cover

4 comments:

sarah bailey knight said...

ytsl

Such a beautiful place to hike. So serene and peaceful looking. I'm envious of the people sitting on the rock. Is that your motorbike? More, please.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Thanks for the comments. Agree about the serenity and peaceful feel of the place. And no, it's not my motorbike! Rather, people feel utterly safe to leave their motorbikes lying about while they go off and do stuff (like fish, pluck fruits or just plain chill). :b

Glenn, kenixfan said...

I always say that I hate the outdoors but I bet I'd change my tune if I were in Malaysia.

Those pictures are very nice.

YTSL said...

Hi Glenn --

Why hate the outdoors? Especially since the US has some wonderful outdoors as well. (I particularly love the American southwest -- unfortunately, can't share my pics of those as they were taken a long time ago and, also, alas, I was less into picture taking then than now...)

Glad you like my pics, more than BTW. And hope they'll entice you to come out to Asia some time... :)