Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Rain couldn't spoil my visit to Kakunodate! (Photo-essay)

This week started badly, with my having nightmares two nights in a row -- the result of worrying about bad things happening in Hong Kong.  Last night though, I had a nice dream involving my being in Japan eating sushi.  I figure the dream was set in Japan in part because I finally got to viewing Hayao Miyazaki's magically evocative The Boy and the Heron yesterday -- and, also, because for some years now, Japan has been a place I have found myself visiting in the imagination, even if not physically (by way of movies, books (I'm a big fan of Keigo Higashino's tomes, among others) and food!).
 
Of course, I did finally visit Japan again this past October -- after a hiatus of some 4 years (thanks to the pandemic).  And there's still so much I want to share about that trip.  So, here's resuming doing so with this post about the next place I went to after visiting Tazawako: the former castle town and samurai stronghold of Kakunodate; one stop away on the Akita mini-shinkansen and, actually, now officially a part of the Akita prefectural city of Semboku along with Tazawako (though I must say that the parts of it that I visited sure didn't feel like a city)!  Anyways, you be the judge by way of the following photo-essay! ;b
 
It was still dry when I walked from Kakunodate's train station
through its Merchant District...
 
But the predicted rain came soon after I got to the Samurai District
(and stayed through the rest of my time in Kakunodate! :()
 
The first attraction I made a beeline to was the 
turned out to be a compound with multiple buildings...
 
...many of them chockful of treasures, including
samurai armor and swords (that I couldn't help thinking
 
Suffice to say that I most definitely came away from the visit
thinking that the Aoyagi family were serious collectors
of so much STUFF (including cameras and gramophones)! 
 
The second samurai house I visited, the Ishiguro House,
had far less STUFF inside of it -- but that might be true
only of the areas open to the public!
 
A cool element of this house -- parts of which remain occupied
by members of the Ishiguro family -- are the wooden panels,
designed and made in such a way that one's treated to a shadow show :)
 
Yes, I could have done without the rain -- but I also can see
what someone's said: that the rain can make the dark wooden 
buildings more photogenic!

2 comments:

Paul said...

The samurai houses look very impressive indeed! Kakunodate is among the areas of "Important Heritage Architecture" right? I'm looking forward to every post in your series as I suspect that I won't get to the Tohoku for years given the way I travel.

YTSL said...

Hi Paul --

I don't know about their official designation but do think that many Japanese do consider Kakunodate's Samurai District to be home to important heritage architecture! And thank you for looking forward to my posts in this series. I'm feeling the same way about your Malaysian (and Singaporean) travel series! :)