Sunday, September 17, 2023

Hong Kong after dark in the national security law era and Covid times (Photo-essay)

As the famous saying goes: "A picture says a thousand words".  So while I've already blogged about Hong Kong's reduced nightlife, here's offering the following photo-essay of photos taken on different evenings this past week that will help give an idea of what different parts of urban Hong Kong look like after dark these days.  And yes, ironically, I was out at night more than usual this week as it so happens -- include earlier this evening, in fact! ;b

From a distance, the lights look far from out in Hong Kong

And the views of Victoria Harbour from the Star Ferry
still can look downright magical

But when one turns one's attention to the interior of the 
Star Ferry though, I'd wager that Hong Kong's status 
as Asia's World City doesn't look super solid :S

I really wish it were otherwise but many of Hong Kong's
neon signs have seen better days  -- and we're talking here 
of those that remain (as opposed to have been taken down) :(

have highlighted but few locals under the age of 60 (or is it 70?)
would seriously think of spending an evening in!
 
As for Four Seasons Pot Rice: the queues are long gone -- seemingly due 
to a combination of jacked up prices, the food no longer tasting all that special, 
and people not dining out that much anymore at night in these Covid times
 
Still, what really hammered home how quiet Hong Kong now is
after dark was seeing how empty Times Square was this evening
 
I realise that this was a Sunday (as opposed to Saturday or Friday) 
night -- but even so, right??!!  (Put another way: I'd never have
imagined a sight like this in the pre-national security law era)

4 comments:

M said...

Hi, I just came across your excellent review of the film Hong Kong Family via the IMDB link. Would you mind please reviewing the film It Remains, which is about to finish its run in Hong Kong cinemas? I could only find an SCMP review of this movie in English and wonder if you could kindly review this movie please? I think the film is still available in some cinemas for the coming days but its run is about to finish, so if you could kindly catch it and review it I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your consideration.

M said...

Hi, I wonder if you could kindly review the film It Remains, which is about to finish its run in Hong Kong cinemas. I just came across your excellent review of the film Hong Kong Family and I wonder what is your take on It Remains. The two films are very different in terms of genres but they are both sad films and I wonder what is your take on It Remains. Please kindly consider going to catch this film in the cinema in the coming days as it is about to disappear from HK cinemas. Thanks for your kind consideration.

peppylady (Dora) said...

City lights has always fascinate me.
Coffee is on, and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi M --

Thanks for your request(s), which have brought "It Remains" to my attention. I'll see what I can do about catching a screening of it and reviewing the movie. In the meantime, hope you'll consider reading my review of "Everyphone Everywhere" and viewing the film? :)

Hi peppylady --

Have you ever wanted to live in a city?