Friday, August 4, 2023

Hong Kong sunsets can be really beautiful (Photo-essay)

I saw a post on Twitter (I don't want to call it X still) asking if anyone had photos of today's sunset in Hong Kong.  I gather from that that Hong Kong saw another doozy of a sunset this evening.  Sadly, I missed it as I wasn't outdoors at the time.  However, I was out by the Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter at sunset this past Wednesday, another day this week which has been super hot but with high visibility -- and as I think you'll agree after seeing the following photos, Wednesday's sunset was pretty beautiful too!

(On another note: I'm sure you've also seen some photos and videos of flood-stricken northern China.  So it may come as a surprise that Hong Kong looks so dry.  But this should emphasize how far away -- at least geographically -- Hong Kong is from, say, Beijing (which saw historic floods in the wake of Typhoon Doksuri despite neighboring cities being used as "moats" to save China's capital): close to 2,000 kilometers in fact!)
 
I had originally gone out for a walk and the promise of
bird spotting/watching but the bright sun caught my attention
 
As the sun moved closer to the horizon, I noticed that
there were a number of people out there with cameras at the ready!
 
It wasn't so many that I was distracted from admiring 
(and capturing images) of the sunset myself though :)
 
And yep, I took a lot of pics -- both horizontal and vertical ones :b
 
It wasn't just the sky that looked like orangey-red
and like it was ablaze, but the water too!
 
I used the zoom a lot but also sometimes zoomed out
to get some variety and a macro view
 
Zooming into a boat that was coming into
the typhoon shelter...
 
Ending this series of photos with an "artistic" image :)

2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Beautiful sun set. Our sunrise and set been just plain.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

I imagine Hong Kong sunrises are nice too but I've never been out and outside for one! :D