Friday, December 14, 2007

Along the Tsz Lo Lan Shan Path (Photo-Essay)


A few weeks back, my mother came over to Hong Kong for another visit. Whereas previously, we had mainly explored the territory by bus, this time around, I figured that there would be a couple of hikes that she could go on and enjoy. And how right I was proven!

The following are some photos I took on the Tsz Lo Lan Shan Path portion of our first hike which started at Wong Nai Chung Gap and got us to Tsin Shui Wan Au, from where we headed northeastwards through the Tai Tam Reservoirs area. (As an aside: The route from Tsin Shui Wan Au to the Tai Tam Reservoirs is one I've hiked before. So when I get to posting photos from that portion of this more recent hike, you might recognize some of the scenery from a previous photo-essays! If so, well spotted!!)

This path that's fairly flat essentially followed the catchwater along the west side of Violet Hill. Although some sections are paved, others are not. Additionally, some sections cling somewhat scarily close to the hill's edge. On a more positive note: This enabled me to take some scenic snaps, particularly of the Repulse Bay area of Hong Kong Island. So I was actually pretty happy with the state of things on that hike! :)

The small reservoir at Wong Nai Chung Gap

To put it mildly: This was a hike where one saw
quite a few luxury -- and I do mean luxury! -- homes

For all this, though, one really wasn't that far away
from nature throughout much of the hike...


Another piece of evidence: This spider's web
that I'm so happy that I managed to photograph! :)

And there are these dessicated -- but arguably
even more beautiful as a result? -- fern leaves

Repulse Bay and the green hills nearby

View of Repulse Bay from a different angle

My mother's the pink shirted figure in the distance,
and I am, of course, represented in the picture
by my shadow
;b

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

More superb photos, but the luxury home! I thought it was a hotel...

Anonymous said...

It looks like a lovely hike, and you got some great photos. I liked the fern and spiderweb ones in particular. In fact, I felt like the pattern of ferns in the background mimicked the spiderweb pattern in the photo above.

Anonymous said...

Hmpf. For some reason, my comment showed up under my blog name rather than my name. But you know who I am. But that's odd. I thought I'd successfully managed to get it to show my name when I'd logged in with my Wordpress account before.

alejna

YTSL said...

Hi a. --

Yes, really re that being a luxury home. And I have to say that I don't normally fantasize about living in a mansion but after seeing that one... ;S

Hi alejna --

Yes, it was a lovely hike and you ain't seen nothing yet re the photos I took on it! (In other words: come back soon to see some more!) :)

sarah bailey knight said...

As always I enjoy your photos essays about your hikes in the wilds of Hong Kong. Great pictures as usual. Please continue hiking.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Don't worry, I don't intend to stop with the hiking any time soon (and, actually, went on one more hike yesterday)! :)