Friday, January 26, 2007

Ouch!

I've just returned from my first ever acupuncture session and, as befits the (diligent) blogger that I've become, feel compelled to not only record the experience but also give due warning to my readers that this may result in a couple days or so of non-blogging on my part.

In brief: For the past month or so, I've been suffering from an ailment known as "frozen shoulder". During this time, I've been regularly going for physiotherapy sessions and, at these tri-weekly sessions, undergoing conventional Western medical treatments involving such as Ultrasound and other modes of electro- along with cold therapy. However, recently, my recovery has appeared to plateau; causing my physiotherapist -- as befits the East-West-influenced Malaysian that she is -- to suggest that I give acupuncture a go.

After a few days of mulling over this suggestion, I decided to take the plunge today. Or, rather, I decided to allow my physiotherapist to plunge a couple of needles into me!

Shortly before she did so, this trusted physiotherapist told me that I wouldn't feel much pain when the needles go in. As my exclamations of "owww!" plus "bullshit!!" in the wake of the needles being stuck into me were to amply prove, however, this did not turn out to be the case!

To be fair, the sharp pain that was initially felt as a result of the actual piercing soon subsided. However, what proved to be a rather strange -- as well as somewhat painful -- experience is that one proceeds to feel pain -- or, at least, soreness and aches -- in other parts of the body beyond the actual puncture point.

More specifically, in my case, although the two needles stuck into me were stuck into my back, my right shoulder's front area soon started manifesting a dull sensation and -- equally weirdly and even worse -- so too did the right side of my neck all the way up to my ear! Indeed, by the time I left the clinic, not only did I feel like an invisible individual was tugging at -- and wringing!! -- my ear but the right side of my jaw and my right cheek had started to ache as well!!!

One hour on, my right ear -- particularly the earlobe -- is feeling rather numb and my shoulder still aches. I've been assured though that all this falls within the perimeters of "normality" in terms of patient reactions (even while most people don't have such, um, extreme reactions). Also, that this is the pain before the recovery and period which will see me feeling better. But since that looked forward to period may not kick in until tomorrow (i.e., some 24 hours after the treatment)... :S

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you had this trouble. I hope that everything will be alright for you. And we sure will forgive the lack of posts until you are well again.

I have never had acupuncture treatment the effects you have described are very interesting. And now you definitely have to watch Korean Drama Dae Jang Geum since acupuncture and medicinal herbs play very important parts in the later half of the drama.

YTSL said...

Hi "eliza bennet" --

Thanks for the commiserations and touch wood but I'm actually feeling better now. So, not only am I feeling fairly confident that I can write another blog entry tomorrow but -- even more happily -- my ear no longer aches and/or feels funny! :)

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you are feeling better, so acupuncture actually works ?

be careful with eliza's suggestion, Dae Jang Geum is very long series that will suck weeks out of your life and turn you into a secluded television watching zombie...
:-)

duriandave said...

Hi YTSL! I hope the accupuncture proves effective. When I had carpal tunnel syndrome, I had it treated with accupuncture. And what happened to me was that as pain in one area went away, pain in another emerged. It was like the proverbial peeling of the onion. Because conditions are often the result of cumulative ills in various parts of your body, it takes some time to restore your body to health. So, I am a big believer in accupuncture, but like Chinese herbs, it does take some time before its efficacy is revealed. Best wishes for you!

Madara said...

I'm sorry you had that reaction. I've had acupuncture done several times, mostly for pinched nerves in the back, and never had an adverse reaction. The last time I had it done was for a muscle pain in my inner thigh and that time it didn't work, but it didn't cause any other pain.

YTSL said...

Hi buma --

"i'm glad you are feeling better, so acupuncture actually works ?"

Acupuncture *is* supposed to work. Whether it's actually working on me right now is another question entirely though... ;S

As for eliza's suggestion: I know what you mean -- and that's one reason why I've been afraid to venture into the world of Korean dramas thus far. More specifically re DAE JANG GEUM (a.k.a. JEWEL IN THE PALACE): Am also afraid that I'll get too distracted by Lee Young Ae reminding me too much of Brigitte Lin... ;S

Hi duriandave and leo86 --

Interesting to discover that you guys have given acupuncture a try yourselves! :)

To duriandave specifically --

"it takes some time to restore your body to health. So, I am a big believer in accupuncture, but like Chinese herbs, it does take some time before its efficacy is revealed."

I hear you on this but, at the same time, one reason for my deciding to take the acupuncture plunge is that my physio reckons that it might work faster than physiotherapy has thus far!

And to leo86 --

"The last time I had it done was for a muscle pain in my inner thigh and that time it didn't work, but it didn't cause any other pain."

Hmmmm...well, the way my physio reacted, it seemed like she was thinking it good that I had the adverse reaction I did. As though that constituted proof that something -- and something "good" at that -- was happening! Anyways, we'll see...at least things haven't gotten worse and I think I can blog some more, etc. today... :)