Friday, January 21, 2022

A socially distanced Hong Kong hike that helped to clear the mind and lift the spirits (Photo-essay)

It's amazing how hiking, or maybe just being out in nature, can help clear the mind and lift the spirits. After feeling upset for much of this week (thanks in no small part to hamstergeddon along with the continued persecution and emigrations), I decided to go on a midweek hike from Wan Chai Gap down to Aberdeen along a well-marked trail that, nonetheless, was on the quiet side -- so, quiet, in fact, that the sound of water flowing down hill streams found at a number of points along the trail sounded so much louder than one would expect very small waterfalls to make!
 
On the human side: Once I got off the paved path onto the unpaved trails, I figure I saw maybe six people, tops. (So, yeah, there really are parts of Hong Kong where social distancing is not all that difficult to enact.)  This being winter now in the Big Lychee, I didn't make any notable bug spottings either. But near the end of the hike, I saw lots of birds (kites but also crows) flying overhead -- and detected movement in the trees that turned out to be a couple of squirrels (which got me thinking once more of hamsters and their ilk -- but, fortunately, didn't completely return me to my previous black mood)!
 
View from Wan Chai Gap over to Aberdeen and beyond
 
This time around, I opted for the unpaved trail that's more
off the beaten track than the paved path that takes
 
In winter, about the brightest natural sights one sees
when out hiking are the red leaves
 
It's surprising how loud this water flowing down makes!
 
View from afar of one of the Aberdeen reservoirs
 
Way more trees than buildings and people 
in this neck of the Hong Kong woods! :)
 
Golden hour view towards the end of the hike
 
Spot the squirrel? ;b

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I believe you have gone into Hong Kong Trial section 3 in the reverse direction. Is there a sign board and a marker stone at the dirt path besides a stream?

On a weekend, you may bump into more people. Or at time, by mountain bikers riding illegally there. That dirt path would lead you to Peel Rise further west.

Where did you get off? Aberdeen or Tin Wan?

T

peppylady (Dora) said...

Look like a wonderful day for a hike.
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi T --

I was indeed on Hong Kong Trail section 3. Good spot! Can't remember if there was a market stone besides the stream but there were definitely those signs telling you to not cross the stream if it flooded over, etc.

Ended the hike by going through Aberdeen cemetery. :)

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

The visibility as high as I'd have liked but the temperature was lovely. Cool enough so that I didn't sweat much but warm enough that I could hike with just a t-shirt on, with no need for a jacket or sweatshirt layer. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi There

At the junction, the marker stone should be a bit left to the sign board, as seen in this street view (https://goo.gl/maps/rKBaFf8GoMDJb4m66)

I believe I have gone through that section over a dozen time, both directions. Quite a present dirt path. I once saw a big red crab (about a decade ago) along one of the smaller streams, but unable to take a photo as it was very quick.

Unable to identify the spices though. Trying to find it in books of local critters but unable to find it yet.

T

YTSL said...

Hi again T --

This was my third time on that section of trail; but the previous times were years ago. Have never seen crabs in the hill streams there but have done so with streams in the New Territories and, also, strangely enough, on the trail itself on Mount Parker!