Saturday, December 19, 2020

Adding brightness and color to one's day at Sai Ying Pun's Art Lane (Photo-essay)

 “On the day-to-day, things are okay- if you avoid reading the news.”  That's what a Hong Konger told a friend living in San Francisco when the latter asked her what it's like living in Hong Kong these days.  As far as I am concerned though, I find it impossible to avoid reading the news.  In fact, I make it a point to do so at various points in the day, and from a number -- and wide variety -- of sources too (including blogs such as those at The Fragrant Harbour and The Big Lychee).  This in spite there being so many days when the bad news can feel relentless and so hard to take.
 
If truth be told, there are days when things can feel so bad that I don't want to get out of bed when I wake up in the morning.  At the same time, I thus far have managed to eventually force myself out of bed even when I've been in a dark mood -- and, after doing so, I find it helps a lot to get out of my apartment to do such as go meet up with a friend, have a good meal or just go for a walk in the city or hike out in the countryside.  
 
Earlier this week, I met up with a friend for a meal and then decided to walk for a bit before heading home.  Not too far away from the China Liason Office, in whose vicinity I've been to on a number of occasions, I stumbled into Art Lane (which actually is more than one lane). A cultural project initiated by a property developer which actually works (or, at the very least, looks pretty cool and colorful), coming across it actually helped brighten my day; this not least because it served to remind me that there's still so much of -- and to -- Hong Kong to "discover" and appreciate...
 
The vision that greets you on one side of one of 
the entryways to Art Lane
 
A very different scene on the other side of the same entryway
 
Even the steps are artistic canvas here :)
 
Ditto re pipes, not just the walls... :b
 
Also, in some cases, doors and door grills!
 
A two storey high mural

I guess it was inevitable that this space would attract
the attention of at least one film crew ;)
 
Continuing on a film note: it was cool to see a Hong Kong 
film icon getting represented there -- and it just had to be
Bruce Lee, despite Henderson Land being "blue"! ;b

2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

A lot of creativity.
Coffee is on and stay safe

YTSL said...

Hi peppylady --

Agreed! And you take care and stay safe too!