Sunday, July 8, 2007

Out on the Ping Shan Heritage Trail (Photo-essay)


Some people, it is said, are content to live in Hong Kong for years -- decades even -- without venturing beyond the more expatriate-friendly areas like
Central, the Midlevels, Wan Chai, Sheung Wan and Tsim Sha Tsui. To put it mildly: I intend to be somewhat different from these folks.

Thus it was that this week has seen me venturing out to places as far apart and diverse as: Tsz Wan Shan up in the northern section of Kowloon, and Sheung Shui up in the northern section of the New Territories (the latter courtesy of a wonderfully scenic and cheap -- at under HK$10! -- ride on bus number 270A from the Kowloon MTR station) this past holiday Monday; Kowloon Bay after work yesterday; and the Ping Shan Heritage Trail in Yuen Long district over in the western part of the New Territories earlier today.

Particularly while out on the often quite picturesque Ping Shan Heritage Trail, I got a bit camera-happy (by my modest standards). To be precise, over the course of around just four hours, I ended up snapping close to sixty shots! So the following photographs that I'd like to share with you really are but a small sample of what I took this afternoon. Hope you enjoy viewing them, especially since they make up just the first of two photo-essays that I plan to devote to this heritage trail! :)
The over 600-year-old Tsui Sing Lau Pagoda
(trans. Pagoda of Gathering Stars)
located at one end of the Ping Shan Heritage Trail
-- and near Tin Shui Wai New Town --
is Hong Kong's sole surviving ancient pagoda

An alternative (i.e., more close-up and,
to my mind, more aesthetically pleasing!)
view of the same pagoda

Outside the main entrance
into the still inhabited walled village
of Sheung Cheung Wai

Not the kind of sight one generally expects to see
when turning a corner in Hong Kong --
the Yeung Hau Temple over in
Hang Tau Tsuen
(AKA Ha Tsuen; Tsuen = village)


A sight I've really not seen before --
ceramic idols
seemingly oh so casually arrayed
placed outdoors and thereby exposed to the elements!

The main ancestral hall of the Tang clan
who are residents of the Ping Shan area
was built over 700 years ago but looks newer than that
as it has recently undergone major restoration

Ancestral tablets have the place of honor
at the altar located in
the triple-hall building's end hall


Next to the Tang Ancestral Hall -- so close that
their roofs can look like they're touching -- lies the newer
(by a couple of centuries) Yu Kiu Ancestral Hall

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YTSL,

What fun outings you're having!!! Great photos. Please continue writing about other places you explore. I thoroughly enjoy reading about your adventures.

YTSL said...

Hi sbk --

Thanks. Glad to know that there's at least one person out there (i.e., you!) who enjoys viewing my Hong Kong photo-essays and reading about my outings over here! :)

Anonymous said...

Make that two; I read and enjoy and get jealous.

But, for once, I am speechless (comments-less, more like).

YTSL said...

Hi Glenn --

Thanks for the vote. Okay, since there's at least two "takers" out there, I WILL put up a second Ping Shan Heritage Trail photo-essay soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Nice topic about Ping Shan Heritage Trail!

And nice pictures, but most of the pictures are a little bit out of focus(not very sharp)...maybe it's your camera. Maybe you should re-take the shots with a better camera :p

But overall, I give you (y)(y)(y)! Thumbs-up!!!

YTSL said...

Hi alo --

Thanks for the comments. Re some of the pictures not being a sharp: It's partly the camera (which is a few years old -- I bought it second hand), my own amateur skills and also that I don't own a tripod.

To be honest, I take the cameras more for recording memories of trips and sharing with family and friends -- especially those out of Hong Kong -- than for a more serious purpose. For that, they're sufficient and don't necessitate a repeat visit to the Ping Shan Heritage Trail, methinks! ;b