Monday, October 30, 2023

After dark in Shinjuku (Photo-essay)

On my very first visit to Tokyo back in 1982, I was put up in a hotel in Ginza.  On each visit to the Japanese capital city since, however, I've been based across town over in the Shinjuku.  The first time was not by choice -- since I was visiting with my parents and they were the ones deciding where we would be staying.  But this western section of Tokyo has become one that I do prefer to stay in; this not least since it's become fairly familiar to me and there are things and places there that I do like (including a plethora of eateries and drinking places to check out).
 
For the most part, however, I've tended to stick to locales to the west and south of Shinjuku Station -- though a friend did once take me and our mothers to Shinjuku Ni-chome, which, in addition to being another part of the area with lots of eateries and bars, is the gay part of town!  This time around, however, I decided to venture out to the eastern part of town to check out the famous Golden Gai and notorious Kabukicho on my first night back in Tokyo; albeit only after I had first had dinner in an izakaya over on the west side of Shinjuku Station and, also, really just to take in the sights and soak in the atmosphere rather than for much more feasting and drinking -- but, truly, that was fine and fun enough as is... ;b
 
The izakaya I went to on my first night back in Japan
 
A sign outside another izakaya that, I must admit, did tempt me some! ;b

The nicely lit path to Hanazono Jinja, which the Golden Gai abuts
 
A giant crab sign for a crab restaurant nearby
can be seen from the grounds of Hanazono Jinja :D
 
One of the alleys of the Golden Gai
 
The Golden Gai's establishments appear to be a mix of
tourist-friendly -- even touristy -- ones and those catering to locals
 
Kabukicho's central road is known as Godzilla Road
 
In case you couldn't see why in the previous photo... ;b

2 comments:

Paul said...

An izakaya specializing in straw-roasting in the middle of Shinjuku? No wonder that katsuo tataki looked so legit!

YTSL said...

Hi Paul --

Indeed. And I must admit that part of me regrets not having tried their straw-roasted bacon... Ah well, maybe next time I'm in Tokyo! ;b