Friday, March 17, 2023

Taking time out to smell and appreciate the flora at the 2023 Hong Kong Flower Show (Photo-essay)

We're only a little past its half way point but this month already has had more bad news days than I would like.  It's particularly grating because March is one of my favorite months of the year -- seeing as the weather's pretty pleasant this time of the year, and March is the month that traditionally sees such as the Hong Kong Arts Festival, Hong Kong International Film Festival, the Hong Kong edition of Art Basel and the Hong Kong Flower Show taking place.      

Still, rather than stay at home and mope, I've been indeed out and about on a number of days this month.  And yesterday saw me attend my first Hong Kong Arts Festival event in four years and today saw me go to Victoria Park to check out the Hong Kong Flower Show for the first time in years.  With regards to the former: I'm not sure if this is the current norm but attendance was on the low side; with the concert hall just around half full.  
 
In contrast, the Hong Kong Flower Show had larger crowds today than I remember seeing in previous years; but even while it was a bit freaky at times to be surrounded by so many people (remember: the pandemic is NOT over), I did have an enjoyable time checking out the flora themselves and the ways in which they were presented for show. :)
 
Hydrangeas were the flowers officially in focus 
at this year's Hong Kong Flower Show
 
Based on the attention they were receiving them though, I'd say  that 
the most popular flowers of the show were the cherry blossoms 
(or are they peach blossoms, as a friend has suggested they in fact are?!)
 
A perennial favorite: tulips
 
Foxgloves were also in abundance, and appreciated,
at this year's Hong Kong Flower Show
 
Something I've long appreciated: the whimsy on show
at this event :)
 
It's probably just my imagination but I saw some
surprisingly yellow imagery at the show (e.g., their proximity
got me thinking of those white things as umbrellas...)
 
There definitely were a good number of yellow flowers,
including sunflowers, at the show
 
Something else on shoow that may not be "politically correct" 
in contemporary Hong Kong but still really is a fact:
Hong Kongers' love of Japan! :)

No comments: