Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The UNESCO World Heritage-listed Tohoku gem that is Hiraizumi's Chosun-ji (Photo-essay)

Nine years ago today, the major disaster which has come to be known as the Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami (as well as the Great East Japan Earthquake, Great Sendai Earthquake and 2011 Tohoku Earthquake) befell the northeastern section of Honshu, Japan's largest island.  Even before that terrible day, the Tohoku region of Japan had been among the ones that attracted the least international visitors.  And when I visited it last May, I found many of the region's attractions to be way less crowded than I can imagine that they would have been if they were situated in, say, Kanto or Kansai

Take, as an example, the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of Hiraizumi, over in Iwate prefecture.  The former capital of the northern branch of the powerful Fujiwara clan, it may now be just a small town with a population of just 7,440 or so  but it is home to temple complexes and grounds that, upon beholding them, one can believe made it rival Kyoto at one point in Japanese history.  Sadly (but also understandably), photos -- at least by members of the public -- are not allowed of the absolutely stunning jewel that is the gold-covered Konjikido but many other sections of the Buddhist temple of Chuson-ji -- with roots dating back to 850 AD, and a couple of remaining buildings dating back to the 12th century -- were.  

Built to represent the Buddhist Pure Land, it really did feel like a land of peace on the day I visited -- though it has seen great conflict, including that which led to the fall of the Fujiwara clan in the late 12th century, and fires along with natural wear and tear that saw the destruction of a good number of its halls.  Located up on a hill, the hike up to  yields visual dividends, as does a leisurely exploration of its expansive grounds, which uncovered bonus sightings, including some critter spottings and some late blooming sakura!

Konjiki-do's Hondo (Main Hall) may be its largest religious 
building but it is by no means it's most famous or spectacular
 
The official National Treasure that is the Konjikido (Golden Hall)
is located at the top of these stairs and inside the concrete hall --
yes, there actually is a whole, entirely gold-covered building in there!
 
The nearby Kyozo (Sutra repository) is physically way 
more modest but it is the one other building in this
temple complex that dates back to the 12th century

And lying within it is a shiny statue that gives
a little idea of what treasures lie within
some of Chuson-ji's other buildings

Two things I've become used to: the existence of
 
 A view from Chuson-ji that helps give an idea of 
how high up the bulk of the temple comples is 
 
Not one but two skinks spotted 
on the grounds of Chuson-ji! 
 
The sighting that really got Puppet Ponyo excited and most 
ecstatic though were that of the still blooming pink sakura! :)

5 comments:

Bill said...

Hi YTSL,

Glad to see you posting your travel journals, which I've enjoyed over the years. They combine history, culture, nature - and even some kawaii - which all become for me a virtual gallery of word and image - with the blogger as curator - and with the reader experiencing word and image to re-live your sojourn.

Years ago, I incorporated Puppet Ponyo into my own life, and your bottom "ecstatic " photo of her epitomizes what she represents to me: a Kami nature spirit (animism) from the Shinto world, with her ancestral links somewhere in the Seto Inland Sea.

Bill

YTSL said...

Hi Bill --

I know you enjoy my travel posts. Sorry for not putting up more of them in recent months but life in Hong Kong has been, well, pretty eventful. I hope to put up some more in the upcoming months. I may not be able to visit Japan this May -- no thanks to the Wuhan coronavirus -- but I still have lots of photos and experiences to share from my favorite country in the world to visit!

Oh, and thanks, as ever for your Puppet Ponyo appreciation. :)

YTSL said...

P.S. It was good to hear from you again after a while. I hope you are safe and well over in your part of the world -- and I do hope that you find my posts about the Wuhan coronavirus are informative.

Bill said...

Hi YTSL,

A comment about the "global virus" which I prefer not to call Wuhan, because there are those who use it against being Chinese or to voice their prejudice against all Asians...I have been sick for a week with a cold and flu-like weakness but my body temperature is normal... strange....I would think a busy city like HK now could accentuate an unusual sense of quiet and possibility of loneliness and isolation.

Bill

YTSL said...

Hi again Bill --

I have a feeling you're writing what you have in reaction to Donald Trump. For the record: I am fine with calling this "global virus" because it did first manifest itself in Wuhan. Also, here's Anthony Wong Chau San giving his opinion why he's fine with the name Wuhan coronavirus:-
https://www.8days.sg/sceneandheard/entertainment/anthony-wong-rants-about-who-s-name-for-covid-19-the-wuhan-virus-12535958

If I recall correctly, you're in Florida. I hope you're fine but can I also suggest that you please consider going and getting tested for the Wuhan coronavirus to make sure you're okay?