Sunday, February 16, 2020

Reflections on a harbourfront stroll from Tsim Sha Tsui to Hung Hom

Wheelchair and surgical mask -- but where's their user?
 
Would you believe it if I told you he was out exercising? ;b

And yes, some people are wearing surgical masks even when
jogging (or, for that matter, hiking) these days in Hong Kong

There have been plenty of gloomy gray days in Hong Kong these past couple of weeks or so.  And, of course, we also happen to be in the middle of a community outbreak of the Wuhan coronavirus that has further darkened moods.  Throw in an as yet unresolved political crisis and it's fair to say that there are plenty of things to get people living in the Big Lychee feeling down these days
 
Rather than lock oneself up and feel sorry for ourselves all day and week though, some of us have opted to venture outdoors to regularly take in some fresh air and exercise.  And even while the Leisure and Services Department has closed its sports and cultural facilities, Hong Kong's cinemas are still open and there remain spaces for people to go about maintaining or building up their physical fitness.  
 
As it so happens, I went to watch a movie in a cinema yesterday afternoon.  Afterwards, rather than head straight home, I decided to go for a stroll along the harbourfront promenade that links Tsim Sha Tsui (where the screening I attended had taken place) and Hung Hom before catching a ferry that would take me across Victoria Harbour over to Hong Kong Island.  
 
In doing so, I found that I was retracing part of the route I had taken back on December 1st, when I had taken part in a pro-democracy protest march that, fairly early on, became a rather chaotic affair after the local constabulary decided to declare it illegal and fire tear gas into a crowd that included a good number of children and senior citizens, not to mention peaceful, unarmed protestors!  But despite the weather threatening to worsen on occasion, there was no raining on my parade this time around and I really did have a considerably more pleasant and refreshing experience. 

Unsurrounded by hundreds, if not thousands, of worried and upset people (or, for that matter, the tourist horde that used to be found in Tsim Sha Tsui until recently), I was able to leisurely drink in the views of what must be one of the most beautiful harbors in the world and its surroundings, and also indulge in a bit of critter spotting -- specifically, of some of the birds that like to hang out by the waters of Victoria Harbour.  Doing so helped lift up my spirits quite a bit.  And even more cheering was the sights I came across in Hung Hom -- of area residents out keeping fit with a bit of brisk walking or more energetic jogging under a sky whose clouds would part every once in a while to reveal beautiful blue sections.
 
As is usual in Hong Kong, the people going about exercising included both the pretty elderly as well as young children.  Less usual (though, I suppose I'm going to come to think of it as normal these days) was that a good percentage of them were masked.  Even more unusual was my coming across a wheelchair, on one of whose arms a surgical mask was hanging, but which was sans user. 
 
Casting my gaze about for its owner, I got to realizing that he was a good distance away from the device: having elected to go about and determinedly get by for a time on his own two feet.  In all honesty, watching him in action was really inspiring; not least since it struck me that I was seeing the Hong Kong spirit personified there.  
 
"I may seem down but I'm actually not out, and still determined to put up a fight and live" he seemed to be saying with his actions.  All in all, it was a timely reminder that Hong Kongers have quite the will along with stubborn streak -- and, against the odds (which includes a government that doesn't care for its people as much as it should), do lead the world in the life expectancy stakes!   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

At least there had been good sunshine today. If I don't have to work I would have go sun bathing. I guess Ultra-violet would help killing off some virus to a certain extent. Unfortunately what I got was just about 15-20 minutes during lunch break.

T

YTSL said...

Hi T --

Too cold for sunbathing today but it was nice to walk around a bit outdoors. Also noticed that the visibility was super high, which I presume means that the air was plenty fresh too!

BTW, did you see that there's a frost warning for tonight?!

Anonymous said...

Hi There,

Yes, I noticed it in the late afternoon. Let's hope the vegetabe farms in the suburbs are not being affected too much. I still sort of hope it would be colder though.

T



YTSL said...

Hi again T --

I, on the other hand, am hoping it won't get much colder than it has been the past few days. Also, with speculation that the Wuhan coronavirus is not as active in hot weather, this might be the first year that I will be happy when summer comes along!